vmware on freebsd?

Chris Knipe savage at savage.za.org
Tue Aug 15 13:41:18 UTC 2006

> On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 02:58:23 -0400 (EDT)
> Peter <petermatulis at yahoo.ca> wrote:
>
> AFAIK, VMWare does not support FreeBSD as a host (YES as a guest) in their
> latest versions of the Workstation line. I havent heard of host as for the
> Server line, but I could be wrong.

Quest Yes, Host No.

VMServer does support Linux however.  The problem is that they have build
the server to depend solely on how linux operates.  Hard coded commands,
specifics about modules (i.e. lsmod, depmod, etc).  If they wern't so full
of fuzz about the installation, chances are the VMServer would run under
linux-emu on BSD.  But alas, at the moment BSD lacks the commands that
VMServer requires.

As far as Linux goes, it runs on just about anything.... Redhat, SuSe,
Slackware, etc.

--
Chris