Reinstalling Sendmail?

Frank Staals frankstaals at gmx.net
Mon Aug 14 11:57:01 UTC 2006

Andreas Widerøe Andersen wrote:
> On 8/10/06, *Frank Staals* <frankstaals at gmx.net
> <mailto:frankstaals at gmx.net>> wrote:
>
>     You can recompile sendmail, you'll have to have the kernel sources
>     installed though:
>
>     # cd /usr/src/lib/libsm; make clean; make obj; make depend; make
>     # cd /usr/src/lib/libsmutil; make clean; make obj; make depend; make
>     # cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail; make clean; make obj; make
>     depend; make; make install
>
>     you might want to read Jonathan Horne's page about configuring
>     sendmail ( among other services ) :
>     http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org/index.php/Deploying_a_FreeBSD_Server#Configuring_Mail_Services
>

> Thanks!
> Nice tutorial.
>
> I have dowloaded all sources from cvs to my system. Should I delete
> some old sources/working dirs/etc from when I've installed software
> before or from when I built world and kernel?
>
> I guess they're under /usr/src somewhere.
>
> Just worried about some old files with wrong config that might screw
> this up.
>
> Thanks,
> Andreas
The only things comming to mind are cleaning /usr/src/obj and ( at least
that is what I did ) backupping your <HOSTNAME>.* files in /etc/mail.
Then I removed the <HOSTNAME>.* files and when I recompiled sendmail
made new configs ( run 'make all' in /etc/mail ). You can copy
particular settings from your old <HOSTNAME>.mc file. This way you have
a clean start :)

Good luck,

--
-Frank Staals