BSDstats Project v2.0 ...

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at freebsd.org
Wed Aug 9 16:08:52 UTC 2006

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Paul Schmehl wrote:

> Igor Robul wrote:
>>>
>>> The only down side is it still can be faked, just like everything else.
>> IP from which connection is made cannot be  faked, at least I dont know
>> how to fake it. So there is at least one "unfakable" part of key. But
>> there is no real need to keep real IP in database, for privacy reasons
>> it is better to keep one-way hash in database.
>>
> We're using PAT.  That means that, when I use a private host to access
> the internet, I could be on any one of a number of IP addresses.
> However, I was assuming that Marc is using the IP reported by ifconfig,
> which *should* be unique for each host, as opposed to the IP that
> connects to him, which could represent literally thousands of hosts in
> some cases.

ifconfig most definitely wouldn't be unique for each host ... ifconfig on
my machines here would show 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.99 ... I have no
idea how many, but I imagine there are *alot* of hosts behind a NAT, or
router, that would show those same numbers ...

The uniqueness is a combination of IP+hostname ... again, as one pointed
out with PCBSD, this isn't always necessarily the case, but, IMHO, that is
a flaw of PCBSD having all hosts on the same network using the same
hostname ...

----