BSDstats Project v2.0 ...

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Wed Aug 9 16:02:05 UTC 2006

Igor Robul wrote:

>> The only down side is it still can be faked, just like everything else.
> IP from which connection is made cannot be  faked, at least I dont know
> how to fake it. So there is at least one "unfakable" part of key. But
> there is no real need to keep real IP in database, for privacy reasons
> it is better to keep one-way hash in database.

We're using PAT.  That means that, when I use a private host to access
the internet, I could be on any one of a number of IP addresses.
However, I was assuming that Marc is using the IP reported by ifconfig,
which *should* be unique for each host, as opposed to the IP that
connects to him, which could represent literally thousands of hosts in
some cases.

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer