User Information (Easy Questions!)

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Aug 5 13:57:23 UTC 2006

beno wrote:
> Matthew Seaman wrote:
>> Note: this is potentially a problem.  If the UID number gets reused for a
>> different account, that new user will get all the ownership rights to the
>> old users' files.  It can often be a better policy to disable an old
>> account
>> -- set the password field in /etc/master.passwd to '!!' and change the
>> shell
>> to /sbin/nologin -- rather than to delete it.
>>

> Before I go trotting off and do this and potentially replace the wrong
> field, which one is the passwd?
> tick:$1$CDKLp9qt$sfo5Mi5/dB1uGZUuc5uKk0:1001:1001::0:0:User
> &:/home/tick:/sbin/nologin

The second field -- see passwd(5) (by which I mean type 'man 5 passwd', if
it isn't obvious)

>> You can also get a report on any 'unowned' files in the weekly periodic
>> e-mail by adding
>>
>>     weekly_noid_enable="YES"
>>
>> to /etc/periodic.conf
>>
> Where does it find the email address?

The periodic emails are sent to root at localhost.  There are at least two
every day, plus an extra at the end of each week and at the end of each
month -- you're expected to set up an alias that forwards them to the
sysadmins for the machine.

Check /etc/mail/aliases, you should have a line that says something like:

    root:  youruid

in there towards the top.  Edit the file appropriately and then type
'make' in the /etc/mail directory. If you haven't done that and you've been
running a FreeBSD box for a while, you'll find that root's mailbox --
/var/mail/root -- is probably rather full.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Flat 3
                                                      Kent, CT11 9PW