Interesting problem with packages, how to fix if corrupt

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Sat Aug 5 13:41:49 UTC 2006

"Andrew Falanga" <af300wsm at gmail.com> writes:

> If I do pkg_info with nothing else, all looks well.  However, if I do
> "pkg_info | grep <package_name>"  (which I do frequently so I don't
> have to read through the entire list) I get these two errors:
>
> pkg_info: the package info for package 'portupgrade-2.0.1_1,1' is corrupt
> pkg_info: the package info for package 'ruby18-bdb4-0.5.7' is corrupt
>
> How would I go about fixing these packages, or at least fixing the
> package information?

That's pretty weird, and I have no idea what could cause it, so advice
is going to be tentative.  [Are you *sure* that the errors come up
when piping the output into grep, or are you specifying the package
name as a parameter to pkg_info?]

Try piping into less(1) instead of grep, and if you have a reasonable
shell, separate out the stderr from stdout.  That may give a clue
what's going on.

Or try removing both packages, cleaning all trace of them, and
reinstall them next time you want them.