How can I have dual displays (Laptop screen and TV)?

backyard1454-bsd at yahoo.com backyard1454-bsd at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 3 19:29:43 UTC 2006

--- Yousef Raffah <yraffah at savola.com> wrote:

> Peter A. Giessel wrote:
> > On 2006/08/03 8:46, Yousef Raffah seems to have
> typed:
> >
> > [snip]
> >

> >> Section "Monitor"
> >>         Identifier      "TV"
> >>         HorizSync       30-50
> >>         VertRefresh     60
> >> EndSection
> >>

> > [snip]
> >

> >> Section "Device"
> >>         Identifier "TV"
> >>         Driver  "ati"
> >>         Option  "MonitorLayout" "TV,LFP"
> >>         Option  "TVStandard" "PAL"
> >>         Option  "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
> >>         Option  "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
> >>         Screen 1
> >> EndSection
> >>

> > [snip]
> >
> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure PAL
> is 25 fields/sec,
> > which corresponds to 50Hz not 60Hz.
> >
> I really have no idea, what are you suggesting then?
>
> --
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Yousef Adnan Raffah
> The Savola Group
>
> -------------------
> Aren't you using Firefox? Get it at
> http://www.getfirefox.com

As much of a pain as it might sound you should
probably google PAL specs for TV output, get a copy of
"The Complete FreeBSD" either on the website or the
printed copy in a store, thumb to the X org (free)
section and form a proper Modeline statement for the
screen by following their instructions and using PAL's
spec. Either that or keep googling X org and PAL TV's.
I think it is something with the refresh rates though.
Also the H-sync should prolly be 50 hertz locked as
this seems to be PAL's standard refresh rate. X might
be defaulting to the low end which is causing the
flicker.
It might help to define the resolution you want the
screen to have as well. PAL supports a few different
ones at different levels of fidelity. Again X might go
to the low end of things to be safe which is just
causing the interlacing to occur too slowly and
flicker on you.

good luck

-brian