switching from linux to freebsd

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Tue Aug 1 06:51:35 UTC 2006

Tyler Spivey wrote:
> Hello. I'm interested in moving my server from linux to freeBSD, but
> have several questions:
> 2. Can Ufs handle crashes very well, or is a very long fsck needed like
> the old ext2 days?

Usually fsck will run in the background after boot has finished. On very
hard crashes you may have to boot into single user to fix it. To avoid
this, make sure that the base system is on a separate partition, you may
even want to mount it read-only for security. (I think these are good
advises on any system).

> 3. is the restriction of NFS-servers only mounting on partition
> boundaries going to be removed in the future, if it even still exists?

You can export an entire partition, with -alldirs option you can mount
any sub directory with the permissions for that partition, eg:

   /home -alldirs -network 192.168.0.0/24

You can also export directories individually, but there are some
restrictions, exporting two directories on the same filesystem to the
same host must have the same permissions. Eg:

   /var/diskless/FreeBSD -ro -maproot=root:wheel -network 192.168.0.0/24
   /var/diskless/clt-1/var -maproot=root:wheel 192.168.0.1
   /var/diskless/clt-1/tmp -maproot=root:wheel 192.168.0.1

This works fine despite the first being -ro and the others -rw, because
the first line exports to a network and not the host, and the second two
have same permissions and mappings. But

   /var/diskless/FreeBSD -ro -maproot=root:wheel -network 192.168.0.0/24
   /var/diskless/clt-1/var -maproot=root:wheel 192.168.0.1
   /var/diskless/clt-1/tmp 192.168.0.1

doesn't, because of the missing maproot in the last export line.

Cheers, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818                      web: http://www.locolomo.org
X.509 Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/8D03551FFCE04F0C.crt