Problem install 6.0 (release) on Sony Vaio TX610P

Mark Myatt mark at brixtonhealth.com
Fri Apr 28 10:00:29 UTC 2006

   Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> The fxp(4) driver supports at least some "i82562" based Ethernet
> devices.  Does FreeBSD 6.1 recognize it on boot?

   I installed 6.0-RELEASE from CD (do you think I might have more luck
   with 6.1-RC1?)
   The only recognition on boot is the message:
        pci6: <network, ethernet> at device 8.0 (no driver attached)

   I get similar "no driver attached" messages for other system
   components (pci0 - display, VGA, multimedia; pci6 - mass media (I
   think this is the memory stick), pci6 - this card and the wireless
   network card, pci8 - serial bus, SMbus).
   Mark

I am trying to install FreeBSD 6.0 on a Sony Vaio TX610P laptop. This
laptop previously ran a Debian-based Linux distribution with little
trouble. I wanted to switch to FreeBSD and did some practice
installations, kernel recompiles, &c. on an old desktop machine. All
went well.

Today I decided to try an install on the TX610P. Installation of the
base-system went well enough but the system does not recognise the NIC.

The boot message given is:

    pci6: <network, ethernet> at device 8.0 (no driver attached)

pciconf -l -v gives:

    none5 at pci16:8:0: class=0x020000 card = 0x81e2104d chip=0x10698086
rev=-0x03 hdr =0x00
        vendor   = 'Intel Corporation'
        device   = '82562Em/EX/GX PRO/100 VM (LOM) Ethernet Controller
Mobile'
        class    = network
        subclass = ethernet

ifconfig reports only the the loopback (lo0) and "Ethernet over
Firewire" (fwe0) devices.

My kernel configuration has the lines:

    device miibus
    device fxp