ural driver , Belkin F5D7050 USB not working...

Harrison Peter CSA BIRKENHEAD PETER.HARRISON at DWP.GSI.GOV.UK
Tue Apr 25 09:58:27 UTC 2006

>Message: 7
>Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 10:45:52 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Rakesh Prajapati <rprajapa at yahoo.com>
>Subject: ural driver , Belkin F5D7050  USB not working..
>To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>
>FreeBSD Version : 6.0 - RELEASE
>Laptop        : AMD 64 laptop
>Wireless Adapter: Belkin F5D7050 Wireless G USB Network Adapter, 802.11g
>
>I am trying to make the Belkin Adapter work on my Laptop but without any success.
>
>As per the Handbook and other sources this adapter should work with ural driver and this device
>should show as ural0 in my dmesg output but it does not instead it shows as
>
>ugen0: Belkin USB2.0 WLAN, rev 2.00/48.10, addr 2
>

>I have recompiled the kernel with the following
>
>       device ehci
>       device uhci
>       device ohci
>       device usb
>       device ural
>       device wlan
>
>In fact the GENERIC kernel config had all these uncommented so I did not have to change it at all but I >compiled it anyway by copying GENERIC to WIRELESS and then buildkernel and installkernel.
>
>As per the Handbook I expect to see
>
># ifconfig -a
>wi0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>        inet6 fe80::202:2dff:fe2d:c938%wi0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x7
>        inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 255.255.255.255
>        ether 00:09:2d:2d:c9:50
>        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (DS/2Mbps)
>        status: no carrier
>        ssid ""
>        stationname "FreeBSD Wireless node"
>        channel 10 authmode OPEN powersavemode OFF powersavesleep 100
>        wepmode OFF weptxkey 1
>
>but my ifconfig -a lists
>
>vr0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>    inet6 fe80::203:25ff:fe10:8327%vr0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
>    inet 192.168.0.4 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
>    ether 00:03:25:10:83:27
>    media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
>    status: active
>fwe0: flags=108802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,NEEDSGIANT> mtu 1500
>    options=8<VLAN_MTU>
>    ether 02:03:25:00:43:96
>    ch 1 dma -1
>lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
>    inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
>    inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3
>    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
>

>What am I missing? Please suggest another USB wireless g adapter if that will work. Model # of the adapter will be appreciated.
>
>My laptop has a builtin wireless (BROADCOM) but I guess it wont work with FreeBSD.
>
>My dmesg output can be found here if required.
>
>http://rprajapa.freeshell.org/
>
>You input is highly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Rakesh
>

>(__)
>(++)-----i\
> ~~| BSD | *
> [...]

Beware that some manufacturers change the chipset in a particular product without changing the name or major version number - I've been bitten with this before by a D-Link wireless PCI adaptor (that I eventually got working using NDIS, but that's another story).

From memory, the ural manpage specifies only revision 2 of that particular wireless adaptor as using the RT2500 chipset and therefore supported. When I was looking for a wireless USB adaptor I looked at this one and could only find revision 4 around - check the documentation that came with it, or ask Belkin what the chipset is.

You may be able to get ndis working - see the manpage for ndisgen. Alternatively I'm using an Asus WL-167G (bought on ebay) which is supported by ural and works perfectly.

Hope that helps.

Peter Harrison.

This document is strictly confidential and is intended only for use by the addressee.
If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or other
action taken in reliance of the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited.
Any views expressed by the sender of this message are not necessarily those of the Department
for Work and Pensions.
If you have received this transmission in error, please use the reply function to tell us
and then permanently delete what you have received.
Please note: Incoming and outgoing e-mail messages are routinely monitored for compliance
with our policy on the use of electronic communications.