Newbie question -- which files to back up?

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Tue Apr 18 13:54:56 UTC 2006

The short answer is to backup the files you want to save.  As a general
rule, I suggest backing up:

/etc
/usr/local/etc
/usr/local/www

The last one assumes you have some website(s).

If you are also worried about email, if you are using the standard
sendmail, also backup:

/var/mail

I would suggest you create separate compressed tar volumes for your
backups, then you can restore them individually if you need to.

         -Derek