System user creation

Beech Rintoul beech at mangohealth.org
Mon Apr 17 06:05:53 UTC 2006

On Sunday 16 April 2006 20:13, you wrote:
> On Apr 16, 2006, at 5:29 PM, Beech Rintoul wrote:
> > On Sunday 16 April 2006 16:01, jekillen wrote:
> >> Hello folks;
> >> I am trying to create a system user for a program to use.
> >> I haven't found any specific instructions for doing this in the
> >> FreeBSD
> >> manual
> >> or Absolute FreeBSD.
> >> The program exits with an error saying it can't create/write to a pid
> >> file.
> >> I believe it is the way I used adduser to create it and I don't know
> >> what
> >> I did wrong. I assigned it the class bin and disabled the password and
> >> assigned none as the home dir.
> >> To remove mystery it is MySQL I am trying to get running.
> >> This is the error file entry:
> >> starting server errors:
> >> 060417 17:38:49 [ERROR] /usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld: Can't
> >> create/write to file '/usr/local/mysql/var/AMD64-939.<domain>.pid'
> >> (Errcode: 13)
> >> 060417 17:38:49 [ERROR] Can't start server: can't create PID file:
> >> Permission denied
> >> 060417 17:38:49  mysqld ended
>
> My concern is 'permission denied' which means there seems to be
> something wrong with the mysql user
> I created. I have done this on another FreeBSD v6 installation  and I
> didn't have the same problem.
> I don't know what I did differently. Yes I did install mysql my self. I
> have had nothing but problems
> with ports, ref a concurrent post where I tried to install an network
> interface card driver, nvnet and
> got a torrent of errors when trying to run make. I went to the FreeBSD
> web site and manually fetched the
> disfile and place it in the distfile directory. It doesn't mean there
> is anything wrong with ports, it just
> means I'm not willing to spend the time to get it up to speed on my
> system.
> Anyhow, I just want to get MySQL running and then I'll deal with any
> other problems. But on my other
> FreeBSD machine i have had none so far and it has been happily running
> for some 6 or 7 weeks
> (accept for a power blackout event that I was able to recover from
> easily).
> Thanks
> JK
>
> > How did you install mysql? That path doesn't look like the default port
> > install. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't that be
> > in /var/db/mysql? Anyway, user and group should be mysql - check your
> > folder
> > permissions to make sure mysql can write there.
> >
> > Beech

Unfortunately, you've just run into one of the pitfalls of installing stock
programs. I just looked at the port of mysql-server and there are no less
than 10 patches (most dealing with configuration) not counting the ones in
mysql-client. Unless you're willing to spend the time dealing with all that
by hand you're better off uninstalling and using the package version of that
port. Installing a package is very easy and documented in the handbook. Other
than that you need to take a close look at configure in the sources and you
may need to adjust those for your system. In the short term what you have is
a file permission problem. Find out what user mysql is trying to run as (most
likely "mysql"), make sure that user exists and set your file permissions on
the mysql directory to allow it to write as that user. It's ok to
use "adduser" to create the user.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - Sys. Administrator - beech at mangohealth.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Mangohealth
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9Th Avenue Ste.310
/ \  - XanGo - http://www.mangohealth.org