/boot at beginning of drive

Brendan Grossman brendan at grossman.id.au
Sun Apr 16 20:38:25 UTC 2006

> It's not a good idea to put everything on the / filesystem.
> At a minimum I would have:
> /
> swap
> /var
> /usr
>
> Your users will not fill up /var unless you allow them
> unlimited mail, databases or access to root.

They will have unlimited access up until their quota has been reached. Where
they use that quota is anyone's guess.

> User's tempfiles will go to /usr/tmp.

How does that work? I just checked /tmp, and it's not a symlink.

> On a system with many users, you should
> consider a /home slice with quotas on that and your
> mailserver set to deliver mail to the users file. Remember
> not everyone is going to max out their filesystem so quotas
> can be set to reasonable values. There are many good reasons
> to separate those filesystems, disk performance and
> crashdumps being just two. Having many users is NOT a good
> reason to combine filesystems. You need to rethink your
> diskspace or add another drive for /home or /usr. The
> handbook has a good section on this.

I agree that it's not a great idea, but considering the software I'm using,
user files are stored in /var and /home. I don't know what percentage of
quotas users will use for emails, databases, or home dirs, and I don't want
to take a guess. If say they were to use a lot of their quota for databases,
then down the track I don't want to have the problem with /var full but
users still under their quota.

By the way just did an install, and it boots fine with the swap, /tmp, /
structure.

Cheers
Brendan