persistent mixer volume levels

David J Brooks daeg at houston.rr.com
Fri Apr 14 21:22:49 UTC 2006

On Friday 14 April 2006 15:33, Bigby Findrake wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Apr 2006, David J Brooks wrote:
> > What is the preferred method for making mixer volume levels persistent?
> > As it stands now my sounds levels are dropped to about 75% after each
> > reboot.
>
> I suppose preferred would depend on what your priorities are.  If you
> change the kernel source, it would be hard for you to change those
> defaults later, as opposed to making a startup script in
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d.
>
> If you want to set the kernel defaults, they appear to be in
> mixer.c (find /usr/src/sys -name mixer.c -print) in snd_mixerdefaults.

Curious! I wrote up an rc.d script that seemes to work fine on reboot. I get
console messages confirming that volume has been changed. But as soon as I
log in, either as root or a normal user, I type 'mixer' and it shows the
volume levels back where they were before.

I'm guessing that there is something else either in rc.d or in the login
sequence that is setting the mixer after my script runs. Any ideas what that
might be?

David
--
Sure God created the world in only six days,
but He didn't have an established user-base.