Wanted: Flash player for <browser_of_choice>....

Bob Johnson fbsdlists at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 18:06:02 UTC 2006

On 4/12/06, Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 06:20:26PM -0400, Bob Johnson wrote:

> > > I lost track of the above email, but keep portmgr@ and the port
> > > maintainer in the loop with developments on this front.
> > >

> > I submitted a query to Adobe customer support via their web site.  The
> > reply I got stated in part:
> >
> > "Please note that Flash Player 8 is not supported in FreeBSD, thus it
> > not mentioned on the End User License Agreement that Flash Player can
> > download and installed on the operating system.  It is not that the
> > web player is prohibited in FreeBSD, but the operating system itself
> > is not compatible with Flash Player."
> >
> > I have replied to them to point out that this statement is incorrect,
> > that FreeBSD is entirely capable of running Flash Player, but FreeBSD
> > users such as I are now prohibited from using Adobe products.  I asked
> > them if they want me to stop using it -- it will be interesting to see
> > what they say.
> >
> > I also pointed out that if that was not their intent, they should
> > consider changing the wording of the EULA.  I think that if everyone
> > who is speculating about this on this list were instead to submit
> > their requests for clarification (not threats) to Adobe's customer
> > support, it might get some attention from Adobe.
>
> Let's just wait to see what they say first, it could be irritating if
> dozens of people suddenly start asking the same questions.

I think that if only one person questions this, their response will be
that there aren't enough FreeBSD users to worry about.  If several
question it (politely), it might get a little attention somewhere
above the front-line customer service level.

Anyway, the answer I got is not highly enlightening.  The most
significant paragraph (I think):

   Please note that it is your option whether to install Flash Player
   on your FreeBSD; however, please note that we cannot provide
   you with any technical support, warranties or remedies for the
   software, although it is clearly stated on the End User License
   Agreement, the only authorized operating systems where you
   may download and install Flash Player.

I'm pretty sure they are telling me that is up to me whether or not I
break the law. I already knew that.

- Bob