DMA TIMEOUT

Perttu Laine plaine at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 06:58:11 UTC 2006

I have problem with ATA drive having DMA TIMEOUTs.
It might work day or two fine with DMA mode on but then system halts on
those dma timeout problems.

hardware is:
atapci0 at pci2:5:0:       class=0x018085 card=0x4d68105a chip=0x4d69105a
rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Promise Technology Inc'
    device   = 'PDC20269 Ultra133 TX2 EIDE Controller'
    class    = mass storage

and PDC20269 is on supported list (5.4-RELEASE).

and has one 160GB drive in it. When I first got this problem I tried change
cable, changed drive to another similar one and moved drive to different
place on card. No help. Now it has been running on PIO mode about a year
without any problems at all.

So I wonder if there actually is some problem in ata drivers and is there
maybe any fixes on those drivers in new releases? So would upgrade to 5.5 or
6.1 help on this? upgrade from 5.3 to 5.4 didn't help...

I can actually run it on PIO-mode but sometimes DMA could give little more
speed so if you would be cool if I can get it work with DMA mode on.

--
kpn @ IRCnet