upgrading from 5-Stable to 6-Stable via source

Igor Robul igorr at speechpro.com
Thu Apr 13 06:20:41 UTC 2006

On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 11:20:43AM +0800, FreeBSD MailingLists wrote:
> I have a bunch of production servers running 5-Stable branch and I was
> considering upgrading to 6-Stable.
> I have never upgraded across major version changes via source.
> Is this a bad idea?
> what pitfalls should i be aware of before starting?
1) For example custom modules like nvidia.ko.
   I recommend you just move all modules out of /boot/modules
2) Also there may be some problems with ports (shared libraries etc.)

I had upgraded my workstation from 5-STABLE to 6-STABLE, and it worked.
But later I got another disk, and I had decided to do clean install.