CVSup/Ports Question

Adam Stroud adam at thegeeklord.com
Thu Apr 13 03:09:50 UTC 2006

I just have a quick question on some of the documentation I have read
about FreeBSD and it's ports collection.  I read in the handbook that
the cvsup tag for the ports-* collection should be ".".

"In particular, use only tag=. for the ports-* collections."

However, when I was reading the ports(7) man page I saw:

"It is possible to download and use ports from the FreeBSD repository
that are newer than the installed system; however it is important to
install the appropriate ``Upgrade Kit'' from
http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/ first!  The portcheckout(1)
(ports/devel/portcheckout) script (also a port, of course!) will help to
download new ports."

When I went to the webpage that the man page referenced I found a
paragraph that stated

"The Ports Collection supports the latest release on the FreeBSD-CURRENT
and FreeBSD-STABLE branches. Older releases are not supported and may or
may not work correctly with an up-to-date ports collection. Over time,
changes to the ports collection may rely on features that are not
present in older releases. Wherever convenient, we try not to
gratuitously break support for recent releases, but it is sometimes
unavoidable. When this occurs, patches contributed by the user community
to maintain support for older releases will usually be committed."

My question is should I keep "tag=." in my ports supfile even though I
am running the RELENG_6_0 and from my understanding that is different
from the -STABLE branch.

Or, am I just mixed up on the branching structure?

Thanks