Wanted: Flash player for <browser_of_choice>....

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Wed Apr 12 01:35:56 UTC 2006

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 08:53:23PM -0400, Chris Hill wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, Gary Kline wrote:

> >>From /usr/ports/UPDATING:
> >>
> >>20060408:
> >>  AFFECTS: users of www/linux-flashplugin*
> >>  AUTHOR: hrs at FreeBSD.org
> >>
> >>  These ports have been removed because the End User License Agreement
> >>  explicitly forbids to run the Flash Player on FreeBSD.
> >>  For more details, see
> >>    http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/license/desktop/
>
> >	Good grief!  Is this even under linux-emulatio?  Oughtta read
> >	the URL.  WHat a pain!
>
> Seriously. But there it is, in section 3.a.(D) of the given URL:
>   "You may not use the Software on ... any operating system that
>    is not an Authorized Operating System."
>
> I wonder why Macromedia felt the need to pay their lawyers to add this
> clause. I will email them and ask, if I can find a way to do so.
>
> Serious question: If one already happened to have this package
> installed, could he hold onto it by editing pkgtools.conf to contain
>     HOLD_PKGS = [
>       'linuxpluginwrapper*',
>     ]
>
> ?

	I don't see why the above wouldn't work; there are a few
	ports I have in the HOLD_PKGS list.  They're still working.

	I've done some hacking the past few weeks on tools to aide
	HTML stuff for books I'll soon put up, so I haven't quit
	programming altgether.  Sooooo: what's the consensus on
	*us* andor the open-src community getting together and
	doing our own free version of this shock/flash stuff?
	I'm read to volunteer.

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix