Wanted: Flash player for <browser_of_choice>....

Chris Hill chris at monochrome.org
Wed Apr 12 00:52:30 UTC 2006

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, Gary Kline wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 06:41:16PM -0500, Eric Schuele wrote:
>> Joseph Vella wrote:

>>> I missed it.  Why is www/linux-flashplugin* gone?
>>
>> From /usr/ports/UPDATING:
>>
>> 20060408:
>>   AFFECTS: users of www/linux-flashplugin*
>>   AUTHOR: hrs at FreeBSD.org
>>
>>   These ports have been removed because the End User License Agreement
>>   explicitly forbids to run the Flash Player on FreeBSD.
>>   For more details, see
>>     http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/license/desktop/

> 	Good grief!  Is this even under linux-emulatio?  Oughtta read
> 	the URL.  WHat a pain!

Seriously. But there it is, in section 3.a.(D) of the given URL:
   "You may not use the Software on ... any operating system that
    is not an Authorized Operating System."

I wonder why Macromedia felt the need to pay their lawyers to add this
clause. I will email them and ask, if I can find a way to do so.

Serious question: If one already happened to have this package
installed, could he hold onto it by editing pkgtools.conf to contain
     HOLD_PKGS = [
       'linuxpluginwrapper*',
     ]

?

Thanks.

Chris Hill               chris at monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]