[semi-SOLVED] Re: Login broken and rc.conf variables suddenly invalid after kernel/world upgrade (?!?!)

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Sat Apr 8 13:31:13 UTC 2006

Garrett Cooper <youshi10 at u.washington.edu> writes:

> Garrett Cooper wrote:
> > Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> >> Did you also forget to mention building and installing the new kernel
> >> before the reboot?  If you actually left that step out, it would
> >> explain much of your trouble.
> >>

> > Yes, I forgot to include that as well. I did that prior to building
> > and installing world (and I don't think that would have interfered
> > since the kernel is a standalone deal I thought).

It's not, and never has been.  The documented and officially supported
upgrade path is:

	<make sure you have good level 0 dumps>
	make buildworld
	make kernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
							[1]
	<reboot in single user>				[3]
	mergemaster -p					[5]
	make installworld
	make delete-old
	mergemaster					[4]
	<reboot>

For other procedures, you're on your own.

> Well, I restored a backup of my /etc/ directory and now things appear
> to work again (not sure about bash, but the rest works like a
> charm). Going to stick to csh and try and make a smarter
> buildworld/system sync checking script because I think that the root
> of all the problems was the fact that the sources may have been
> cvsup'ed while I was building world originally, hence the makefile and
> quite a few things may have changed during the build.

Well, yes, that could be a problem.  To say the least.