[semi-SOLVED] Re: Login broken and rc.conf variables suddenly invalid after kernel/world upgrade (?!?!)

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Sat Apr 8 01:05:49 UTC 2006

Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
>> Garrett Cooper <youshi10 at u.washington.edu> writes:
>>

>>> By the way, I also ran mergemaster as shown above. I forgot to
>>> originally include that.
>>>

>> Did you also forget to mention building and installing the new kernel
>> before the reboot?  If you actually left that step out, it would
>> explain much of your trouble.
>>

> Yes, I forgot to include that as well. I did that prior to building
> and installing world (and I don't think that would have interfered
> since the kernel is a standalone deal I thought).
Well, I restored a backup of my /etc/ directory and now things appear to
work again (not sure about bash, but the rest works like a charm). Going
to stick to csh and try and make a smarter buildworld/system sync
checking script because I think that the root of all the problems was
the fact that the sources may have been cvsup'ed while I was building
world originally, hence the makefile and quite a few things may have
changed during the build.

Thanks again for the help!
-Garrett