Cvsup & installworld process question

Bryan Curl bc3910 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 18:31:09 UTC 2006

Hopefully this is right place for my question and not to redundant.

I have a new minimalist installation for use as a file server only (FreeBSD
6.0-RELEASE) with a very small set of ports installed. Basically Samba,
Cvsup,man files, ports, all the source and their dependencies. I am
primarily interested in keeping the system up to date with security patches,
system updates, and of course, the ports I run. I want to optimize the
amount of disk space for the public shares so I don't want to arbitrarily
install a lot of programs I don't need.

My question is,
1.) If I CVSUP SRC-ALL,  'make buildworld', 'make installworld' etc, will
that install the entire source tree to my machine and eat up disk space
unnecessarily? In other words do I need to weed out all but the basic
components I want before make installworld?
2.) What branches of the source tree would I  be required to keep up to date
for my minimal installation?

I realized in testing on an older system that portupgrade will only install
ports I am using but don't know if make installworld will do the same.

-------
Bryan
bc3910 'at' gmail 'dot' com

--