Postfix: unable to deliver this message after 4 days

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Mon Apr 3 18:33:52 UTC 2006

> At 03:36 03.04.2006, James Long wrote:
> >As your subject indicates, this is not a FreeBSD problem.
> >
> >Postfix support is available via their mailing lists.  Please see
> >http://www.postfix.org/lists.html
>
> Hello Mr Long!
>
> This is the reply I got from the Postfix list:
>
> However I'll put this thread to rest if it isn't replied to from here on.
>
> From: wietse at porcupine.org (Wietse Venema)
> Subject: Re: Postfix: unable to deliver this message after 4 days
> To: Vaaf <vaaf at broadpark.no>
> Cc: postfix-users at postfix.org
>
> Vaaf:
>
>  > When I try to send e-mails to info at lalaladomain.com, I get:
>  >
>  > Reason: unable to deliver this message after 4 days
>
> That is not a Postfix error message. This message comes
> from a different mail system.
>
> Check your mail logfile.
>
>          Wietse

It merely means that something was wrong with delivery of the message.
Probably it means that the other system was down/unavailable/refusing
to accept mail.   The system trying to send it will attempt to repeat
the message for a period of time.   Then it gives up and sends a
message back to the original sender saying it gave up.  The period
of time is configurable and is typically 5 days, but that is often
shortened by some system managers.   So, the sending host manager, in
this case, probably set it to 4 days.

////jerry