Firefox 1.5 getting downright irritating

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Mon Apr 3 15:49:30 UTC 2006

Does anyone know how to get Firefox 1.5 to *always* start with the
ProfileManager?  I'm using KDE 3.5, FreeBSD 6.0, Xorg 6.9.0 and Firefox
1.5.  I've created an application starter on the menubar that has the path
to firefox (/usr/X11R6/bin/firefox) with the argument -ProfileManager.  The
first time I start Firefox, the profile manager pops up and prompts me to
select a profile.  All subsequent launches of Firefox use the profile that
I selected initially.  I want Firefox to prompt me *every* time it starts,
because I have created several profiles, each designed to do different
tasks and be open in different windows.  Each profile uses tabbed Homes so
I can start a number of tabs with different tasks in them.

I've edited profile.ini as follows:
StartWithLastProfile=0
and
StartWithLastProfile=1

Neither setting makes any difference at all.  Checking and unchecking the
box to start on startup *also* does nothing.  (As does the prompt to make
firefox the default browser.)

I even tried removing StartWithLastProfile entirely.  *Nothing* works.
There's no man pages for firefox, firefox-bin, profile.ini, profilemanager,
mozilla or mozilla-bin, and googling has been futile so far.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/