How to upgrade samba version to 3.0.22

wc_fbsd at xxiii.com wc_fbsd at xxiii.com
Sat Apr 1 19:43:07 UTC 2006

At 07:11 AM 4/1/2006, you wrote:
>I am using FreeBSD 6 and install samba from ports collection
>/usr/ports/net/samba3. The "make install" download and install samba
>3.0.14a. I noticed samba has new version 3.0.22. How can I install
>the new version?

You need to update your ports.  Read the handbook.  I would strongly
suggest the "portsnap" utility, now standard equipment with 6.x.  I
feel like a dumb shit because I just discovered it yesterday, and had
been using the much slower and ackward cvsup method.

Basically, delete your current /usr/ports;  portsnap fetch; portsnap
extract; portsnap update.  Repeat the fetch & update as needed in the future.

Ports currently has 3.0.21b but '22 should be available in a couple
days.  I forget the details, but it was a fairly obscure security
patch I wasn't worried about.

   -Wayne