Sharing data files on a dual-boot machine ...

John Hoover johnfhoover at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 13:43:52 PDT 2005

On 9/26/05, Kiffin Gish <kiffin at gish.demon.nl> wrote:

> I have a dual-boot laptop running on the one hand Windows XP (sorry) and
> on the other hand good old FreeBSD.
>
> My question: is it possible to exchange data files between both both
> operaing systems in an easy and efficient way?

I don't know if it would be considered the most efficient, but I've got my
Sony GRT100 set up this way. It has worked out well so far.

Three partitions
25GB NTFS (MS XP)
3GB FAT32 (Data sharing)
12GB BSD (FreeBSD)

I'm using FreeBSD's boot manager for selecting the boot partition at
startup.
Best I remember I installed the above by
1) using FreeBSD to partition and install on ad0s3
2) install XP on first partition, format FAT32 partition within XP
(admin tools -> computer management -> disk management)
3) reinstall FreeBSD, installing FreeBSD boot manager

You could add an entry to /etc/fstabs to mount the FAT32 partition on
startup,
I just mounted it by hand if I needed it.

John.
John F Hoover
johnfhoover at gmail.com