Sharing data files on a dual-boot machine ...

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Mon Sep 26 13:31:41 PDT 2005

Kiffin Gish wrote:

> I have a dual-boot laptop running on the one hand
> Windows XP (sorry) and on the other hand good old FreeBSD.

It is kinda sorry, but it seems a little better than Window ME.

</bada bing!>  :D

> My question: is it possible to exchange data files between
> both both operaing systems in an easy and efficient way?
>
> For example, saving all my MP3s on a separate data partition
> and playing the same music despite which operating system
> I am using?

Hrm.  I'd say one way, most likely.  FreeBSD should be able
to read either FAT or NTFS partitions (I do it all the time), but
AFAIK WinXP doesn't support UFS.   So, you would want to put
your mp3s on a FAT partition, most likely, as FreeBSD doesn't
*write* NTFS very well (at all?)

However, for strictly the example you give, it shouldn't be
difficult, as long as the mp3 partition is FAT/FAT32.....

Kevin Kinsey