this: not found

Karol Kwiatkowski freebsd at orchid.homeunix.org
Mon Oct 17 11:41:03 PDT 2005

eoghan wrote:
> On 17 Oct 2005, at 15:20, Karol Kwiatkowski wrote:
>
>> eoghan wrote:
>>
>>> Hello
>>> Im having problems again with this message when im booting. I get
>>> several messages like this:
>>> This: not found
>>>

>> Every time I see that it's because of missing '#' at the beginning of
>> the line in a shell script (to mark the line as a comment).
>>

>>> About 8 or so of them just before it asks me for my login. It has
>>> happened before, but i was working with a rather shaky install as i
>>> wasnt sure what i was doing, well at least i was more unsure then
>>> than i
>>> am now :)
>>> So im just wondering where i would look to see where its trying to  find
>>> "This"?
>>>

>> I'd look at starting scripts first. Something like:
>>
>>     # ls /etc/rc.d/* | xargs grep "This"
>>     # ls /usr/local/etc/rc.d/* | xargs grep "This"
>>
>> and see if there's a line starting with 'This' without a '#' at the
>> beginning somewhere.
>

> I have done this now and not found anything  without the # ... is  there
> anywhere else I should look?

How about /etc/rc.conf file?

If not there does 'grep -r This /etc' shows something useful?

And just to be clear look for exact word: 'This' or 'this' depending
on the situation (I'm not sure because you wrote it differently in the
email subject and body).

--
Karol Kwiatkowski  <freebsd at orchid dot homeunix dot org>
GPGKey: http://www.orchid.homeunix.org/carlos/gpg/0x06E09309.asc