Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop v 2.10 (mouse not beingdetected)

Alejandro Valenzuela Roca lanjoe9 at prodigy.net.mx
Sun Oct 16 22:13:35 PDT 2005

Thank you for your replies.

Mike: have you tried connecting the mouse through PS/2 (if possible)?

I'll try it tomorrow (the computer I'm using right now has only USB
ports).

Paul: the difference between your setup and mine is the fact that
there's only one receiver for both the wireless keyboard and the mouse.

The keyboard does get detected, but then I only see this Human Interface
Device which basically seems to do nothing (what can an HID do, btw?).
Here's the usbdevs output:

addr 1: OHCI root hub, NEC
 addr 4: PSC 750, Hewlett-Packard
 addr 3: USB Optical Mouse, A4Tech
 addr 2: Synaptics WheelPad, Synaptics Inc.
addr 1: OHCI root hub, NEC
 addr 2: Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop® 2.10, Microsft
addr 1: EHCI root hub, NEC

The USB Optical Mouse from A4Tech is the replacement (wired) mouse
(ums1) I'm using instead of the wireless included with the MS Optical
Desktop Junkish Edition. Currently I'm using my laptop, so there's the
Synaptics Wheelpad in ums0.

Here's a bit more of the dmesg:

ums0: A4Tech USB Optical Mouse, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 2, iclass 3/1
ums0: 7 buttons and Z dir.
ums1: Synaptics Inc. Synaptics WheelPad, rev 1.10/0.10, addr 3, iclass
3/1
ums1: 3 buttons and Z dir.
Timecounter "TSC" frequency 1993540700 Hz quality 800
Timecounters tick every 10.000 msec
ad0: 76319MB <TOSHIBA MK8025GAS/KA023A> [155061/16/63] at ata0-master
UDMA100
acd0: CDRW <DW-224E/7.0B> at ata0-slave PIO4
ums0: at uhub0 port 2 (addr 2) disconnected
ums0: detached
uhub0: device problem (IOERROR), disabling port 2
ums1: at uhub0 port 3 (addr 3) disconnected
ums1: detached
ums0: Synaptics Inc. Synaptics WheelPad, rev 1.10/0.10, addr 2, iclass
3/1
ums0: 3 buttons and Z dir.
cd0 at ata0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
cd0: <TEAC DW-224E 7.0B> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
cd0: 16.000MB/s transfers
cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s3a
ukbd0: Microsft Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop® 2.10, rev 2.00/0.38,
addr 2, iclass 3/1
kbd1 at ukbd0
uhid0: Microsft Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop® 2.10, rev 2.00/0.38,
addr 2, iclass 3/1
ums1: A4Tech USB Optical Mouse, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 3, iclass 3/1
ums1: 7 buttons and Z dir.

The "uhub0: device problem (IOERROR), disabling port 2" line appeared
now that I've been trying to use the MS Wireless Optical Desktop Junkish
Edition (as if there was another one). It doesn't seem to affect much,
just reconnecting the MS stuff makes the keyboard work. There's that
uhid0 device as well, does anyone know what can be done with it?

Thanks again for your replies

PS:I tried using the Wireless Optical Desktop in Ubuntu Warty, but
surprisingly nothing works at all, not even the keyboard which works
here in FreeBSD.
--
"Los ñoños conducen la electricidad"