FreeBSD routing

Richard Burakowski richard.burakowski at mrburak.net
Sun Oct 16 21:44:42 PDT 2005

Bob Hepple wrote:

>>I won't expect that this will work at all, even not with Linux, because
>>the IP 192.168.254.245 and 192.168.2.214 are of different subnets.
>>Either you use 192.168.254.0/24 or 192.168.2.0/24 in the 10baseT net,
>>but not both. I don't know if Linux makes it possible to do this; I
>>haven't tried it yet. At least I can reproduce your error message with a
>>similar setup. Just assign the IP 192.168.2.245 to rl0 for example; then
>>it should work without problems.
>>
>>Regards
>>Björn
>>

>The reason I'm doing it this way is that I have machines at work on the
>192.168.2.0/24 network that I access from home over openvpn. So I can't
>grab 192.168.2 at home. But I always bring home one of many different
>machines - they're already configured to 192.168.2.214. It's so
>convenient to be able to access all of 192.168.2 over openvpn _except_
>for the one machine 192.168.2.214.
>
>It's just a bit of a fag to re-configure each machine for home use -
>particularly as it could be freebsd, linux (x 4 distros), Solaris, AIX,
>SCO OS5, SCO UW7, HPUX etc etc and they all configure in different ways.

Bob

I'm having a hard time imagining how the packets are finding their way
back during your linux testing.  How does 2.214 know what to do with the
reply when it recieves the echo request from 254.245?  Was openvpn up
during you linux testing and down during your freebsd testing?  Can we
see your linux routing tables during the various stages?

Is it possible to preconfigure the servers to your home subnet instead
of 192.168.2.214?  or additionally?  it shouldn't cause any dramas if
your home subnet dosen't appear at work.

Richard