OT: New design

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Thu Oct 6 06:39:03 PDT 2005

On Wednesday 05 October 2005 10:43 pm, Kirk Strauser wrote:

> I like the idea, but the rendering is lacking in some browsers.  This
> screenshot comes from Konqueror 3.4.2 on a FreeBSD 6.0-BETA4 machine:

I think I found the problem.  I sit a few feet away from a 19" monitor, and
have my minimum font size set larger than normal to compensate for sites that
use teeny typefaces.  When I loaded the new www.freebsd.org with that minimum
size decreased a few points, it looked fine.

Try it on your own: visit the site and increase the font size a bit, and see
if it doesn't resemble my screenshot.  And it still renders as a a narrow
(maybe 50% of window width) column centered horizontally.  That is, it
doesn't reflow at all.  Widen your browser window and the little column stays
centered in the middle of huge white tracts.  Make it narrower and watch as
the horizontal scroll bars pop into play.

I still think the design generally looks fine, but the implementation isn't so
hot.  I'll see if I can find time to hack on it this weekend.
--
Kirk Strauser