Zero Channel Raid

Ruan Kendall shearwater at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 10:56:12 GMT 2005

I was rather hoping to be able to boot from a RAID5 array, giving me a
safety net in case of disk failure but still giving me effectively 3
disks worth of storage space. Using two RAID1 arrays would be an
alternative, but that would mean having less space available.

I am uncertain of the perfomance penalties of the ZCR/RAIDIOS setup,
though the press releases (but the vendors, naturally) imply that it
isn't too serious. As for saturating the PCI bus, I have no immediate
use for it, nor do I envisage needing it at any time in the near
future.

  - Ruan