mysql 5.0 on FreeBSD 5.3

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Mon Nov 28 23:46:15 GMT 2005

On Monday 28 November 2005 13:36,  the author Kris Kennaway contributed to the
dialogue on-
 Re: mysql 5.0 on FreeBSD 5.3:

>On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 01:25:55PM -0800, Ron wrote:
>> Thanks.
>>
>> I updated my source tree, and am about to run the following (20.4.1 in
>> the handbook):
>>
>> # make buildworld
>> # make buildkernel
>> # make installkernel
>> # reboot
>>
>> But, it then says:
>>
>> After installkernel finishes successfully, you should boot in single
>> user mode (i.e. using boot -s from the loader prompt). Then run:
>>
>> # mergemaster -p
>> # make installworld
>> # mergemaster
>> # reboot
>>
>> Is it going to be possible to do this upgrade without access to the
>> server?
>
>Not with 100% safety.  If the upgrade is small (e.g. 5.3-RELEASE to
>5.3-RELEASE+security patches), then you can often get away without
>needing single-user mode.  If you're trying to upgrade to a new
>version, this becomes increasingly dangerous.
>
>And in any event you need to have a recovery plan thought out, for the
>cases when something goes wrong.
>
>> I am going to need to do this whole process over ssh.  My
>> server is several hundred miles away.  Do I need to update the kernel?
>
>Yes.
>
>Kris
FWIW I have no trouble with mysql5.0 on freebsd 5.3 but maybe I just got
lucky!

BTW I posted earlier about upgarding to 6.0 from 5.3 - are there any
circumstances where i should upgrade to 5.4 BEFORE upgrading to 6.0 or does
anyone know if can I go straight for it without running into any major
problems?

david

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing bound for Europe via Panama Canal after
completing engineroom refit.