mysql 5.0 on FreeBSD 5.3

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Mon Nov 28 21:36:58 GMT 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 01:25:55PM -0800, Ron wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> I updated my source tree, and am about to run the following (20.4.1 in
> the handbook):
>
> # make buildworld
> # make buildkernel
> # make installkernel
> # reboot
>
> But, it then says:
>
> After installkernel finishes successfully, you should boot in single
> user mode (i.e. using boot -s from the loader prompt). Then run:
>
> # mergemaster -p
> # make installworld
> # mergemaster
> # reboot
>
> Is it going to be possible to do this upgrade without access to the
> server?

Not with 100% safety.  If the upgrade is small (e.g. 5.3-RELEASE to
5.3-RELEASE+security patches), then you can often get away without
needing single-user mode.  If you're trying to upgrade to a new
version, this becomes increasingly dangerous.

And in any event you need to have a recovery plan thought out, for the
cases when something goes wrong.

> I am going to need to do this whole process over ssh.  My
> server is several hundred miles away.  Do I need to update the kernel?

Yes.

Kris