mozilla: Undefined symbol "pango_x_font_map_for_display"

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 22 13:19:53 GMT 2005

--- myfreebsd at cox.net wrote:

> >Mozilla cannot start anymore, after I portupgraded
> >Mozilla,
>
> >I now get this:
>
> >$ mozilla
> >/libexec/ld-elf.so.1:
> >/usr/X11R6/lib/mozilla/components/libgfx_gtk.so:
> >Undefined symbol "pango_x_font_map_for_display"
> >$
> Rob,
>
> When you upgraded, did you upgrade recursively so
> the dependencies were updated?
>
> If not, try it:
> portupgrade -rR mozilla

Thanks. I did already twice following:

  # portupgrade -fvrR mozilla-1.7......

which reinstalled mozilla and all it depends on etc.
To no avail; still get that my upgraded mozilla does
not start because pango_x_font_map_for_display is
not there...

When I do
  # ldd /usr/X11R6/lib/mozilla/mozilla-bin | grep
pango
  libpangocairo-1.0.so.0 =>
/usr/X11R6/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0
  libpangoft2-1.0.so.0 =>
/usr/X11R6/lib/libpangoft2-1.0.so.0
  libpango-1.0.so.0 =>
/usr/X11R6/lib/libpango-1.0.so.0

Note that mozilla-bin is NOT linked against
/usr/X11R6/lib/libpangox-1.0.so ; and that is the
library which contains pango_x_font_map_for_display:

 # strings /usr/X11R6/lib/libpangox-1.0.so | \
   grep pango_x_font_map_for_display
 pango_x_font_map_for_display
 pango_x_font_map_for_display

So I think the problem seems to boil down to
why my upgraded mozilla executable is not linked
against libpangox.

Any ideas?
Do you also see this?

When I forcefully delete mozilla and pango, and
install the older versions from 5.4 packages, then
mozilla works again.

Thanks,
Rob.