reaplay and mplay/mplugin....

Beecher Rintoul akbeech at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 09:51:53 GMT 2005

On Monday 21 November 2005 06:52 pm, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 04:07:53PM -0900, Beecher Rintoul wrote:

> > > 	Yeah, I just (re-)discovred that on my test (ubuntu) box.  For
> > > 	some reason, mplayer looks like it doesn't wwant to be a plugin;
> > > 	rather a stand-alone Windows a/v player.
> > >
> > > 	I just installed the newest Helix and from what I glimped,
> > > 	it supports both real and win streaming audio.  Jeez, but
> > > 	I'd like one app that worked all the time.
> >
> > On the latest firefox it will recognize and launch the helix plugin, but
> > it then just stops with a blank window. The plugin worked in the previous
> > version of firefox. As for WMV, it didn't work even in the previous
> > version. I googled the problem a while ago and ran across something about
> > firefox not working with helix anymore, so I just sort of gave up. After
> > I accidentally nuked linuxpluginwrapper I deleted and reinstalled
> > everything and it still didn't work for me yesterday.
> >
> > Realplay does work as a standalone if you copy the URL into it, so the
> > problem is in the plugin. I don't know if any or all of this applies to
> > mozilla. If linuxpluginwrapper isn't fixed soon I'll take all the
> > pertinent  info from the last couple of threads and write up a how-to, as
> > I do have flash and acroread working at this point with
> > linuxpluginwrapper.
> >
> > Mplayer works great with WMV, but running real-anything  does in fact
> > crash firefox after a short time. Hopefully one of these apps will get
> > fixed to run both protocols as plugins, but for now I'll settle for
> > mplayer and run realplay stuff standalone.
>
> 	I discovered that URL's entered into realplay do work; at least
> 	with the .r* suffix. Is there a place in mplayer that I can
> 	stash windows audio URL's?

If you're running KDE try kplayer (in the ports). it's a standalone front end
for mplayer that integrates nicely into KDE. I've been playing with it all
afternoon and everything works as advertised. It also has a playlist.

Beech Rintoul - System Administrator - akbeech at gmail.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | NorthWind Communications
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9th Avenue Ste.310
/ \