M571 Internal Audio

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Sun Nov 20 17:48:16 GMT 2005

yegor at box.vsi.ru writes:

> Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org>:
>
> Thank you for answer.
>
> > > 4.10-RELEASE.
> > > When play .au, speakers produce some noise for a second.
> > > When play .mp3, speakers are silent and kernel reports:
> > >
> > > pcm0:play:0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead
> > > CM8330 SB16 Driver (WDM)
> > > C-Media CM8330 Audio Driver (WDM)
> >
> > What are you doing to play your sound files?
>
> cat madcow.au > /dev/sound
> play madcow.au
> play ttt.mp3
> mpeg123 ttt.mp3
>
> Here play is sox' one.
>
> Disabling loading mss module and adding
>
> device pcm0 port at isa? port 0x240 irq 07 drq 05 flags 0x17
>
> doesn't help: first device still isn't detected and second one appears as pcm1.
>
> I've tried snd0 sb device. Now tring sbxvi...

You might need them both together; take a close look at the manual
page.  Also consider updating to FreeBSD 6.0, because the sound
drivers have not only been improved, but also just plain *changed*.
And I, for one, don't remember the 4.x era sound drivers in enough
detail to be all that much help.

> By the way, I've found today, that C-Media CM8330 eats great amount of CPU time
> in W2k when playing...

That is quite strange.