Upgrading glib

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Sat Nov 19 13:45:00 GMT 2005

Paul Waring <paul at xk7.net> writes:

> I've just done a cvsup on the following release:
>
> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_5_4

Ports aren't branched, so I'll assume you used tag=. for the ports.

> and one of the packages due for an update is glib, which has gone from
> version 2.8.3 to 2.8.4. Given that I've built almost everything on my
> system from source using ports, do I need to rebuild things once I've
> upgraded glib? I've had problems before when updating Perl and having to
> rebuild all the p5-* modules, so I'm not sure with glib being a
> library of sorts whether or not I'll need to rebuild things.

Perl is a special case, because the scripts embed the full path to the
executable.  In this case, you will probably be fine.  To be sure,
update everything that is outdated and dependent on glib.  portupgrade
and portmanager are both nice utilities to help you with this.