Should I have 2 copies of OpenSSL?

Russell E. Meek russell at russellmeek.net
Fri Nov 18 05:41:03 GMT 2005

Justin Meyer wrote:

>Hi Folks,
>
>I've got a 6.0-STABLE box here that I've upgraded from sources serveral
>times, from all the way back from 5.0 (and maybe from 4.x; I honestly
>can't remember at this point...) I'm fairly sure I followed directions
>properly along the way, because I always got everything working again
>after each upgrade.
>
>Except this time, a Ruby script using Ruby's 'http-access2' module
>started throwing odd OpenSSL exceptions. After poking a bit, I found the
>following:
>

>>ttyp3 zhengyi at oracle:~/code/ruby $ /usr/bin/openssl version
>>

>OpenSSL 0.9.7e-p1 25 Oct 2004
>

>>ttyp3 zhengyi at oracle:~/code/ruby $ /usr/local/bin/openssl version
>>

>OpenSSL 0.9.8a 11 Oct 2005
>
>I guess the one in /usr/bin came with the system, and the one in
>/usr/local/bin came from ports:
>

>>ttyp3 zhengyi at oracle:~/code/ruby $ pkg_info|grep openssl
>>

>openssl-0.9.8a      SSL and crypto library
>
>What gives? Is the way things should be? Or did I foul something up
>somewhere along the way through my upgrades? If I did mess something up,
>what should I do to fix it?
>
>Thank you!

Justin,

How about trying this, you have the most recent version of openssl
installed in base due to the upgrade to 6.0 - release.

If you have the OpenSSL port installed why don't you uninstall the port
and place the following in your /etc/make.conf file

WITH_OPENSSL_BASE=yes

This will force all ports you install going foward to use the base
install of OpenSSL and not to install OpenSSL as a dependency from ports.

You could then make deinstall,  make install clean && make distclean any
port that requires OpenSSL, Ruby for instance.

This should make it build with the base install, eliminating the version
conflict.

Also if you by chance have pkgtools installed, a quick portsclean -CDDLP
would not hurt once you finished re-installing all OpenSSL dependant ports.

-CDDLP will clean out all work directories and distfiles from the entire
ports collection if they exist or were left over.

Thanks,

--
Russell E. Meek
www.russellmeek.net