Should I have 2 copies of OpenSSL?

Justin Meyer zhengyi at anarkismus.net
Thu Nov 17 23:56:05 GMT 2005

Hi Folks,

I've got a 6.0-STABLE box here that I've upgraded from sources serveral
times, from all the way back from 5.0 (and maybe from 4.x; I honestly
can't remember at this point...) I'm fairly sure I followed directions
properly along the way, because I always got everything working again
after each upgrade.

Except this time, a Ruby script using Ruby's 'http-access2' module
started throwing odd OpenSSL exceptions. After poking a bit, I found the
following:

> ttyp3 zhengyi at oracle:~/code/ruby $ /usr/bin/openssl version
OpenSSL 0.9.7e-p1 25 Oct 2004
> ttyp3 zhengyi at oracle:~/code/ruby $ /usr/local/bin/openssl version
OpenSSL 0.9.8a 11 Oct 2005

I guess the one in /usr/bin came with the system, and the one in
/usr/local/bin came from ports:

> ttyp3 zhengyi at oracle:~/code/ruby $ pkg_info|grep openssl
openssl-0.9.8a      SSL and crypto library

What gives? Is the way things should be? Or did I foul something up
somewhere along the way through my upgrades? If I did mess something up,
what should I do to fix it?

Thank you!

--
Justin