Intresting X Question...

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Thu Nov 17 12:30:27 GMT 2005

You forgot that the video card and Xserver has to support
this.

Yes, Xorg/XFree86 configuration is a breeze when the X server
is able to probe the monitor for the refresh rates.

But there's a lot of cards/server combos that this will not
work with.  And when that happens X configuration is a bitch.

What you have to do is trial and error it.

For example take the onboard video card on the early Compaq
deskpro, it's an S3 based thing.

Under the svga server the monitor is properly probed but
the driver programs the card wrong and you get problems with
the mouse.

Under the s3 server the monitor isn't probed but the mouse
cursor works.

A quick and dirty hack is to boot with the svga server, record
the refresh rates from the X log, then reconfigure for the
usable server and hard code in the refresh rates learned from
the log.  Quick and dirty but effective.  It's also not something
that an inexperienced person would think of.

The other problem is the GUI-based config tool won't of course
work if the card/monitor combo is too weird.  Another solution
to that is running the original script configuration tool.

There are a lot of X config tricks that aren't mentioned in the
Handbook.  If the OP had bothered to list what he was working
with I might even suggest a few that would help.

Ted