PCI serial board problem

Daniel Malaby dan at malaby.com
Thu Nov 17 12:19:06 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I am trying to get a Syba 2S1P, chip set NM9835CV, PCI serial board to
work in my FBSD 5.4 box.

When booting the BOIS finds the card and reports it as a "simple com
controller" but as FBSD boots up it reports the card as

unknown: <PNP0401> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0700> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0f13> can't assign resources (irq)

then of course sio does not see the ports. I suspect the real problem is
the PNP, I have the BIOS set for OS PNP, actually I have tried it with
it off also and that did not seem to have any effect. The documentation
does not say to much about PNP cards, so I was wondering if anyone could
give me some pointers, or give me a PCI serial board that is known to
work with FBSD 5.4.

Please cc me for I am not subscribed to the list.

TIA