ICH6-R

Steve Bertrand iaccounts at ibctech.ca
Wed Nov 16 17:24:30 GMT 2005

> > Steve, I have made good progress. It seems that the factory shipped
> > the sata drives on ports 3 and 4 of the sata controller.
> Both drives
> > where secondary slaves. While we both know that really
> shouldnt matter
> > when you build a logical drive and tell the array
> controller what span
> > to boot from.
> > But it looks like freebsd hiccups on it. I moved my sata drives to
> > ports 1 and 2 on the sata controller, rebuilt the array,
> installed and
> > booted off the array with no problems.
> >
> > My next issue with this controller is the performance -ick!
> > There is a blurb about its read perfomance on the intel web
> site, Ill
> > keep you posted. Good luck and let me kknow what your drive
> > configuration is.
>
> Thanks for the info! I'm going to Cc: the list now, in case
> someone else is having issues.
>
> My drives are 1 and 2 as well, as a matter of fact, I've
> tried them everywhere. No matter what, after install, I get
> the blinking cursor.
>
> I'm going to try to get a chance this aft to play around
> again, and I'll let you know what I find. If it doesn't work,
> we can compare BIOS settings.

I'm still as stuck as I was a month ago. Here's a little more detail:

- During install (this time it's 6.0-RELEASE as of Nov. 3), I have 3
selections to select from when FDISKing etc: ad4, ad6 and ar0.

- I select ad0 to configure as this is the bootable RAID volume, and
everything installs perfectly fine. I then proceed to reboot the box,
and a blinking cursor appears in the top-left side of the screen, as if
BSD wants to boot, but nothing ever happens.

Normally one would think a 'non-bootable disk' error would show up. I
can't see how this is the box, as this exact same situation happens on
another SATA box I have. That said, if the CD installer can see the
disks, and write to the disks, then it's hard to see how it's FBSD's
fault either.

It's time I start smashing my head against the wall in regards to this
issue. I have tried disabling pretty much everything in the BIOS that is
not critical for the system to function, I've tried booting off of an
individual SATA disk etc. etc.

If anyone, anywhere can give me any advice whatsoever to help
troubleshoot this problem, I would be eternally grateful. I'm at the
point where I've re-installed at least a dozen times, several different
versions, and now I'm simply going back over things I know I've tried
several times already.

Regards,

Steve