Solaris patches and Solaris Express

J.D. Bronson jbronson at wixb.com
Wed Nov 16 17:14:14 GMT 2005

At 09:32 PM 11/15/2005, Victor Watkins wrote:

> > Do community member find these additional features worth the cost?
>
>No.
>
>We just want to get our patches without jumping through any hoops, or
>worrying about if the check made it through the mail, or if Sun FUBAR'ed
>our support account info rather than there being a problem with the
>Update Manager connecting, etc.
>
>No longer personally worried about it though..I nuked my Solaris install
>and have a nice, shiny new FreeBSD 6.0 kit now, and I gotta say, after
>Solaris 5.10 x86, the speed difference alone is breathtaking.

Ironically, I too did the same exact thing. Sun screwed me around
with "whats free..whats not free" - patches available...patches restricted.

Then when Update manager stopped working - I said enough was enough.

I nuked my solaris 10 install - and opted for FreeBSD. Not only is it
much faster and easier to work with, but I can feel more assured that
if/when a patch is needed, I wont be dick'ed around to get it.

Solaris x86 has never offered stellar performance, but when 10 came
out we all had high hopes. That faded fast. I have 2 MAJOR bugs filed
that still have not been addressed (reported March 2005) - and there
are many users out there that dont even know about some of these.
They likely will find out someday :-(

I still run 1 solaris machine and thats a sparc running 9.0 ...as
soon as the machine dies or the OS is no longer supported, the
machine will find a nice resting spot in some city dump (or recycler)

--
J.D. Bronson
Information Services

-Taco Bell is *not* the Mexican Telephone Company-