Status of 6.0 for production systems

Chris chris at childeric.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Nov 15 23:51:09 GMT 2005

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> [...]

A lot of it doesn't, it gets lost to the atmosphere at the power station
and in transmission losses.

 > not have to run the furnace so much, thus saving energy there.

If you mean gas fired, almost all the heat is generated inside your house

 > So you spend more energy to run inefficient PC's and save energy
 > in not running your furnace.  Seems to me to be a wash, here.

So the saving of C02 emissions by reducing your gas heating is not as
great as the extra C02 emissions generated by your PC, by quite a large
amount I believe.

 > I should also point out that in many areas power is generated by
 > wind.  Here in the Pacific NW you can pay a bit extra on your
 > power bill to have all your electricity come from wind if you want.

I wish we could have more commitment to sustainable energy in UK but UK
governments noise about it _is_ wash sadly.

 >> A lot of people on the FreeBSD mailing
 >> lists like the idea of getting rid of their clunky old PC routers and
 >> still using a good firewall like Packet Filter by using the MIPS based
 >> linksys WRT54G router that could run FreeBSD, while there is no
 >> port for
 >> this on FreeBSD the closest front for this would be NetBSD.
 >>

 > At the ISP I work at we USED to recommend Linksys routers.  Then
 > we found that without exception they fail after about a year to two
 > of continuous use.  Therefore the person goes and buys another router.
 > Talk about wasted energy of manufacture and increased use of landfill
 > space.

That is indeed a waste but consider that in that year the PC at 150
watts has consumed 60 times as much power as the router at 2.5 watts. I
make that 1314kWh for the PC and 21.9kWh for the router 24/7 for a year.
Anyone know how much power it takes to manufacture and deliver a small
router? And maybe other routers last a bit longer.

Where this comes back just a little to topic is if an OS such as FreeBSD
can be made to run as effectively on an older PC as Windows on a new PC
the new PC doesn't have to be manufactured and the old PC doesn't have
to go into landfill. And then the FreeBSD project _is_ saving the world.

 > You need to rethink your views on energy.  The problem in the world
 > today is not electrical energy.  We can generate all the electric
 > power we could ever need using wind energy, for very little more

There is actually some debate about how much sustainable energy we can
produce globally, and we also have to think about the world tomorrow
when low consuming countries convert to consumer societies, eg China.

 > than burning fossil fuel - and in many places, at a lower cost than
 > fossil-fuel generation if you subtract the initial investment costs.
 > (most fossil fuel generating plants have long since paid off their
 > initial investments)

In the end I think any discussion which can start us thinking about how
we individually consume and why and how we should reduce our consumption
is positive. Ie whether using an old PC or a router, turning it off when
it is not actually being used is win-win. On that point, I believe the
ATX power supply should be made illegal - in the UK PC's and monitors
which are 'shutdown' but not switched off at the wall use up the output
of a medium sized power station.

Chris