Upgrading application(s)

Sasa Stupar sasa at stupar.homelinux.net
Sat Nov 12 09:33:24 GMT 2005

--On 11. november 2005 13:15 -0500 Charles Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:

> On Nov 11, 2005, at 12:57 PM, Sasa Stupar wrote:
>> I am quite new to freebsd. I have several applications build from
>> the ports collection. When some port change for a new version (I
>> cvsup my ports collection) how do I do upgrade of that application?
>> Is it the same as for the first time: just go to the port I want
>> and then type make and make install or is there another way?
>
> Yes, there are other ways.
>
> The two main choices for rebuilding new ports are sysutils/ portupgrade
> and sysutils/portmanager.  portupgrade is considered the  default or
> standard tool, and it works quite well for most things,  but has problems
> with KDE and GNOME in particular.
>
> portmanager uses a rather different approach to handling  dependencies,
> which can require more compiler work, but it seems to  handles updating
> KDE and GNOME better than portupgrade does.

OK. I am trying to install portupgrade (I do not use X) from the ports but
after I make install I get the following error:
------------
===>   db43-4.3.29 is already installed
      You may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install this port again
      by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
      If you really wish to overwrite the old port of databases/db43
      without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
      in your environment or the "make install" command line.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/databases/db43.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/databases/ruby-bdb.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade.

Why is it complaining about db43? Yes, I have it allready installed before
with installation of Cyrus-imapd. Shouldn't it just ignore if it is
allready installed?

Regards,
Sasa