"Out of range" starting Xorg on dual display

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Fri Nov 11 00:32:50 GMT 2005

On Nov 10, 2005, at 1:38 PM, Pat Maddox wrote:

> On 11/10/05, Garrett Cooper <youshi10 at u.washington.edu> wrote:

>>> Thanks for the reply.
>>>
>>> I checked out what refresh rates they're using in Windows, and both
>>> monitors are set to 60.  The finicky monitor apparently can run
>>> at 60,
>>> 70, or 72.
>>>
>>> I set the VertRefresh to 60, start up Xorg, and now I'm not getting
>>> the error, but it's really flickery.  Really, it's more like a bunch
>>> of lines are scrolling down very quickly, it's not flicker, so
>>> something definitely isn't right.  If I set the VertRefresh to a
>>> range, like 60-72, I still get that Out of Range error.  I haven't
>>> been able to find out exactly what refresh rates to use, because
>>> these
>>> are LCDs and the refresh rates given in ms, not Hertz.  Not really
>>> sure what that means.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the reply, seems like I'm getting closer...I'd appreciate
>>> any more help you can give me.
>>>
>>> Pat
>>
>> Pat,
>>         That's not the actual refresh range for the monitor, it's
>> just the
>> currently used range.
>>         What you want to do is search for "{maker} {model} horizontal
>> refresh" in google; the pages which come up are the ones you want to
>> refer to for your xorg.conf configuration.
>>         Also, just as a sidenote, setting the refresh rate of the
>> monitor to
>> the highest possible range will help your eyes as they are accustomed
>> to a higher refresh rate than 60 Hz
>> -Garrett
>>

> I called up ViewSonic tech support to get the info from them, and they
> said that the recommended vertical refresh rate is 60Hz, and the
> supported horizontal range is 30-92kHz.  So I added a HorizSync 30-92
> line and a VertRefresh 60 line.  I'm still getting the same problem as
> earlier when there was output, I run "Xorg -config myconfig" and it
> looks like it's scrolling or something.  60Hz is the recommended
> refresh rate, so I don't have any clue what the problem is.
>
> Pat

	Unfortunately that isn't a range though; it's just a set value. So
just give me the model number and I'll tell you how I got where I
needed to go and where to go to find the solution, because it seems
like you can't find the right google results (and I don't blame you
because sometimes it's hard to find the right answer in Google queries).
-Garrett