Web Balancing with multicast

Wed Nov 9 17:37:12 GMT 2005

Hi,

is there an application to load balance web traffic using multicast
on freebsd ?

We have web servers currently running NLB (network load balancing) on
windows 2003 that  works this way (simplified for clarity):

We have server A that listen on ip 10.10.10.11
We have server A that listen on ip 10.10.10.12

Both server also listen to "virtual ip" 10.10.10.10. That ip is in
fact a multicast ip so that a request going to that ip is received by
both server. Windows load balancing then decide which of the 2
machines process the request. It also adapts itself if a server is
added or removed from the cluster (manually or on a failure)

I saw there is a way with freebsd to add a machine in front of the
cluster that will direct the traffic and load balance the traffic
between a group of computers, but I'm looking for a solution similar
to windows load balancing that doesnt require a dedicated machine in
front of the cluster.

If someone knows of an app that could do that, I would appreciate if
you could give me a url for the software in question...

Please don't mention solutions that require the use of a dedicated
machine in front of the cluster. If there is no way to do this on
freebsd, I will simply use a cisco load balancer in front of my freebsd servers

Thanks a lot