Firefox + acroread7

Chris Hill chris at monochrome.org
Wed Nov 9 00:24:56 GMT 2005

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Eric Schuele wrote:

> I'm having difficulties getting acroread7 to work within
> firefox-1.0.7.

[...]

> I copied libmap.conf-FreeBSD6 to /etc/libmap.conf.  Cut some stuff
> out.  Left in the acroread sections (among others):
>
> # Acrobat7 with Mozilla/Firebird/Galeon/Epiphany/Konqueror
> #[/usr/compat/linux/usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so]
> [/usr/local/lib/acroread/usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so]
> libc.so.6			pluginwrapper/acrobat.so
>
> Note that I changed the [pointer?] to where the shared object actually
> resides.

I noticed. Why?

I left mine at the default (the line you commented out above) and mine
works. That is, if I click on a hyperlink to a PDF, the PDF opens in a
browser window.

> I also created a symlink from
> /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins/nppdf.so ->
> /usr/local/lib/acroread/usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so

My link in /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins looks like
nppdf.so -> /compat/linux/usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so

Is there another nppdf.so on your system? Maybe you had previously
installed a FreeBSD-native Mozilla-family browser? I think that if
you're using linuxpluginwrapper you need to point the link to the linux
nppdf.so. Just a thought.

I'm on 5.4-RELEASE-p8, not 6.0 like you, so that may account for the
different path. Or not. But you may want to take a look in that
/compat/linux... directory and see what's there.

HTH...

Chris Hill               chris at monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]